- Menopause is defined as the absence of menstrual periods for 12 months. It is the time in a woman’s life when function of ovaries ceases.
- The process of menopause does not occur overnight, but rather is a gradual process. This so-called premenopausal transition period- is a different experience for each woman.
- The average age of menopause is 51 years old, but menopause may occur as early as the 30s or as late as the 60s. There is no reliable lab test to predict when a woman will experience menopause.
- The age at which a woman starts having menstrual periods is not related to the age of menopause onset.
Menopause is the time in a woman’s life at which she can no longer reproduce. Symptoms of perimenopause, menopause, and post menopause vary greatly from woman to woman. However, common symptoms of menopause include
- Hot flashes
- Mood changes
- Vaginal dryness and itching